Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

October 11, 2012

20 Places Every American Should See

 
We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.
 
There is a lot of information on the internet about travel. There are also so many different opinions of top places to go.  However, not everyone enjoys seeing the same things.

 ellis


Not too long ago a little book came out on the top 1,000 places to see before you die.  Next another similar book came out listing the top 1,000 places to see in the US and Canada.  Did you buy either of those?   It’s kind of difficult to check off 1,000 places that someone else thinks are tops.  After that lists came out with other ideas on what to see.  This is another one of those from Budget Travel.


gettys


This list is a little more reasonable with only 20 places “every American should see” and here it is.  How many of these have you seen?  Anyone been to all 20?

Thumbs up California’s Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles Thumbs up Times Square, New York City
Thumbs up French Quarter, New Orleans Thumbs up Grand Canyon
Thumbs up National Mall, Washington, D.C. Thumbs up Independence National Historical Park, Philadelphia
Thumbs up Nashville Thumbs up Las Vegas Strip, Las Vegas
Thumbs down Civil Rights District, Atlanta Thumbs up South Beach, Miami
Thumbs up Yellowstone National Park Thumbs up Hollywood Walk of Fame, LA
Thumbs up Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City Thumbs down Fenway Park, Boston
Thumbs up Disney's Magic Kingdom, Orlando Thumbs down Taos Pueblo, N.M.
Thumbs up Architecture in Chicago Thumbs up Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Thumbs down Gettysburg National Military Park Thumbs up Ellis Island, N.J.
 hollywood1  grand
Okay – I’ve checked off where I’ve been and not been.  I’ve been to 16 of these but it looks like I have 4 more to go.   Now it’s your turn to see how many of these places you have visited.


Thumbs up Been there, done that
Thumbs down Need to add to bucket list


hawaii


So, here’s another question for you.  I’ve been asked this a lot so now I’m asking you.  Of all the places you’ve been in your life what would you say was the absolute best?  That’s a real tough one to answer ...  Isn’t it?  So many more things come into that decision and it isn’t just the location. 


places2 places1

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
 

‘Tis life on the road.





13 comments:

  1. I've been to 12 of the places on the list, although it's been many, many years since I've seen some of them.

    Four places come to mind as "favorites," but this is just a top of mind thing, not a long, thought out answer. I am definitely into big mountains with rocks.
    1. Canadian Rockies from Banff to Jasper on Icefields Parkway.
    2. Austria--Vienna, Salzburg, the Alps
    3. Yosemite National Park, California
    4. Columbia River Gorge, Oregon

    And that is just a beginning. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Hills all come to mind too. But we haven't even scratched the surface on the East Coast...so this list is incomplete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been to twelve. Guess I have some more traveling to do.

    As to best I'm not sure but the first one that popped into my mind was the river cruise we did of Europe along the Danube, Main, and Rhine from Budapest to Amsterdam. Lots of very accessible history there from a very comfortable river boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 only!!! Does that make me a looser? Huh..so much looking forward to. I have an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a "good luck" gift, the girls got us the 1,000 places to see before you die. I started to mark all the places we saw in the book and then said...this is too much work, let's just see what we want to see.
    We have been to 14. I can't believe Yosemite isn't on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 for me. And I just always say, where ever I am right now is the best place we've been. I couldn't just pick one or even two. Sometimes it's the people who make the place, sometimes it's Mother Nature. We love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only been to 4, but I'm not a traveler. New York City is the only place I REALLY wanted to go, and I did it.

    I think my favorite place was Disneyland in Southern California when I was married and had two young kids. It was so clean, interesting, fun, exciting. My kids are 6 years apart, so I enjoyed seeing it through an adult's eyes as well as my kids' eyes. They loved different things and different rides. Just super fun. Now, however, when I've been with my grandchildren who have annual passes, it's different. And lots more crowded!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thirteen, and being we're in the French Quarter right now, I think I should get extra credit.

    The most incredible place I've ever been? Been to it three times, the delivery room watching my kid's births. Not sure Marti would agree with me on that one... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to 8 of those sites so I guess I still have some travelling to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10 for us...of course we've been to Fenway Park...can't believe that was on the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all why is your title - 20 Places All Americans Should See - ? (you knew I would ask)

    We have been to only 6 of them but we are working on it.

    Favourite - well like most here, that is hard. The River Walk in Savannah, Georgia is way up there. For Doug - Gettysburg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well I guess we are the big 0!..the closest we came to the Grand Canyon was flying over it..
    we have some travelling to do..
    our favorite place so far?..not on your list but it would have to be the Oregon Coast :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got 7 done so far , still have a few things to see yet!

    ReplyDelete