Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

October 13, 2012

Rivers, Lakes and Rain

 
 
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
 
It's raining!  It's raining!  It's pouring!  Boy, did we need this rain.  There hasn't been any good rain in this area since about the 4th of July.  Many of the rivers are as low as we’ve ever seen them.  Sandbars have been popping up where we have never seen them before.  Rain was expected on Friday and definitely long past due.

_FALL12Remember the little air dryer I mentioned on my blog a couple days ago?  We ordered three of them for the cabin.  They were ordered from Amazon early Monday evening.  So, Thursday I thought I’d check the tracking to see where they were and when we could expect them.  Guess what?  They were already sitting on our son’s porch!!  Talk about super fast service.  Sometimes trying to decide what company to order from is a big decision.  I think we definitely made the right one.  Now we just need to make one more trip to the cabin and set them in place.





The other day I read one of my normal morning blogs from Rick. He talked about the spawning of salmon that they watched on one of their hikes. It was a light bulb going off.


_FALL1
About 2 miles east -- Spawning area by fish hatchery on the Kalama River


There are many rivers around here where salmon spawn. However, I figured most of them in the fall run had probably already done that. If Rick had posted that blog a few weeks ago, we might have been able to sit and watch too.    Several _FALL2years ago my son took me to visit some spawning grounds not far from his house.  Thursday we decided to check a few spots out.  We  had to go on Thursday if we wanted sunshine.  After 3 1/2 months of dry weather, the much needed rains were expected to begin on Friday.


 Kress Lake - 2 miles north.


We weren’t out for a long drive.  There are many, many rivers and lakes in a short distance from my son’s and daughter’s homes.  They live a little over a mile from each other in a area that is gorgeous and definitely an outdoor paradise.  





_FALL3
2 miles west - Fisherman's Loop
_FALL4
1 mile west - Columbia River

__FALL1


Since it was a weekday there weren’t a lot of folks out.  We did see a few fishing for steelhead.  We also saw a few struggling salmon on the last leg of their journey.  The salmon turn darker and darker the longer they are in the river.   By the time they are close to their spawning grounds, they are pretty black.



_FALL9 


It was a gorgeous fall day.  Fall in this part of the country isn’t the same as fall in the East as Toni recently reminded me.  The colors of changing leaves around here are inter-mixed between the evergreens.  It’s gorgeous but very different from the East coast.








_FALL7
1/2 mile down the road
_FALL5
1/2 mile -- Loading logs on large ships


And, I have to show you this.  This is a baby gift Sabrina put together.  It’s diapers and supplies using blankets and ribbons to give the impression that it’s wrapped in a cradle!  Cute. Cute.  Cute.


_FALL14

Halloween is just around the corner.  We were reminded of this when we saw the pumpkin displays at the mall.

_FALL11
Trick or Treat
_FALL8 bye4

Actually, Duchess was on the floor at the cabin in the picture.  I thought the pillow was cute though.  Duchess doesn't like rain.  She'd much rather be inside than outside when the rain starts falling.  It could be our fault actually.  When we brought her home from the breeder she was just a wee little puppy.  We lived in Texas then and it didn't rain a lot.  However, I do remember having an umbrella by the back door.  We used it when we took her outside to do her business.  The umbrella was for her and not for us. 


_FALL13
We ended Thursday with two more soccer games.

The countdown is now on until departure day.  From posting this blog we have six more sleep-overs until we head south.  Temperatures are cooling down and the rains are coming.  It's a good sign the time is close.


‘Tis life on the road.



11 comments:

  1. Of course as soon as you roll out, the rains will come and follow you all the way South.

    What a clever idea for the baby cradle things! I wonder where Sabrina got such talent? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the colors amongst the evergreens is a real treat for the eyes because it is so unexpected. Sabrina is amazing. That baby gift is just so cute. Had to turn the heat on this morning but by tomorrow it's warming up again into the 90's. The nights are nice and cool for sleeping though. We even had a little rain here which was nice. That is a great picture of Duchess. And they definitely get whichever seat they want in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the rains have indeed arrived!..I miss the sunshine already!
    what a creative baby gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is it that you're currently located? Must be north of Vancouver, WA. We lived in the Portland, Oregon area for over 30 years and some of those photos are mighty familiar (Columbia River).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rivers and lakes look just as low as ours do. It's raining here now and it's pretty incredible how everyone just loves it and wants more of it. That won't last I know but, like you, we'll be heading south before we're entirely sick of the rain.

    Great pics of those fall colors in the trees - beautiful.

    Thanks for the shout-out too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice fall pictures, yes time to move five more sleeps for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Six more sleeps for us too!

    I have never used Amazon but that's a great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a mix of colorful trees and evergreens here, too. Beautiful time of year. We have fog today, though.

    Wish I knew how many sleeps I have until starting south. I've asked but have not yet received an answer. My mind is ready but I'm trying not to pack too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Bauman's Farms. Especially during Apple Cider Season. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sabrina is one talented young lady!

    I love the colors among the evergreens. Makes the changing leaves look even more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE the baby gift 'wrap' idea. Considering that I have TWO nieces currently pregnant.... I am definitely inclined to try it. But will have to ship it , so hope it will hold up 'inside' a box LOL.

    ReplyDelete