Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

October 1, 2012

We Have a Travel Plan!


Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Is this route going to stick?  I certainly hope it does.  I’ve been known to change my mind a time or two as you well know.  If it doesn’t stick, I’m back to research and you all carmelknow how much I like research and especially when it’s about travel or genealogy or just about anything else.  It would make your head spin if I told you about all the trips I had planned in my life.  At least right now this is what we’re thinking and I’m certainly hoping this is what we’ll do.
 
< ---- Carmel

If you’ll remember, our first thought was that we would head to Florida this year.  Well, we’re not doing that.  Actually the decision to end up in Texas instead came along when Terry’s father took a turn for the worse.  He thought being closer would be better.  After all Florida is a mighty long ways from Arizona.  Now Texas isn’t close either but it’s certainly much closer than the Keys!!

As you know then Texas became Arizona …. again.  I didn’t want to go there this winter.  I really didn’t but Terry’s father got even hearstworse so we decided that was  better than Texas.  Now with his father gone, Terry wants to hang around even closer so that’s what we’ll do.  We may certainly take our own sweet time getting there but eventually our motorhome will skid to a stop at some place close.  That part we’re still not sure of yet.  Well, we know what we’re thinking but we’re not sure that part is even close to sticking yet.

Hearst Castle

Getting excited about traveling through California is something I don’t normally do.  I’ve been to that state so many times that I’ve already run out of fingers and toes counting the times.  First of all, we traveled numerous times as a kid going back and forth to Kerrville, Texas for a family vacation.  Then, my college roommate lived in California so there were more trips and then we made the trips often to and from Arizona solvang2when the kids were little.  After that, of course, we moved to Texas so our routing was a little backwards but we’ve made up for it since we retired.  In other words, we’ve been through there a lot but what we haven’t done in an awful long time, we decided to do again.

Danish town of Solvang

We haven’t been to Santa Cruz in years and years.  We haven’t been to Monterrey or Carmel in the same length of time.  I’ve never been to the Hearst Castle.  Terry has but I haven’t.  I’ve never been to Pismo Beach.  Guess what’s at Pismo Beach??   Dunes for off road vehicles and you know what we think about that.  Well, that’s what oceanoElkswe’re going to do (we think)  and I’m excited about it. 

Oceano Elks – short walk to the beach.

Nothing has been worked out much beyond Pismo Beach.  We may go on to Santa Barbara and   even the little Danish town of Solvang or San Diego and then again, we may not.  I did make reservations in Palm Springs and Apache Junction but those, of course, are subject to change.  They could be changed or moved.

We belong to several different clubs and memberships groups with RV parks.  Becoming a member of the Elks was one of the best clubs we’ve ever joined.  Not only do they do a lot for the community, many of them have RV parks for traveling members at very good prices.  Planning a visit in southern California sanluisand especially right on the coast usually means big bucks.  Not so if you’re a member though.  

San Luis Obispo Elks with swimming pool and too close to a Best Buy for my own good.



I wanted to visit the Pismo Dunes in the spring but Utah won out. So, we’re going to try it again and we’ll be putting our time in at several Elk Lodges.  Within a short distance there are 4 different lodges with RV parks.  First of all there is one at Atascadero then 22 miles south is another at San Luis Obispo.  Fifteen miles farther south is another one at Oceano.  On an additional 19 miles is another one and on and on and on.  The rates range from about $15 to $25 a night.  Try to beat that one if you can right on the California coast.
 

     Pismo Dunes



That’s what I know for now and the plans as we think they might unfold .... maybe.

'Tis life on the road.

13 comments:

  1. In a previous post you talked about Terry being from Hannibal and now you talk about Kerrville. How strange, I grew up in Hannibal and am currently in Fredericksburg. You could follow me and retrace your youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved planning. Which is why I'm so surprised that my plan for this winter is to pick up my new RV in Austin, Texas, the end of this month. Period. I guess I'm winging it from there. So your plan sounds really substantial to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to love the Elks. If I remember correctly, there was only one Elks Club we found not so friendly. It was the Petaluma Elks. There was plenty of RV parking, but the people inside were not very friendly. Very odd for an Elks Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking you're going to be eating a lot of Jello. ;c)

    But then, that's half the fun, planning what to do next. We're still planning on Key West, sorry you won't make it, but that will leave more crab for us! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, we were hoping to meet up with you in Florida- although I certainly understand the need to stay close. We really enjoyed Solvang when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good plan. How much time do you have to change your mind? lol Have a great time exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you go about joining the Elks? We belong to a lot of clubs but may have to look into that one too. That's one of the things I have such a hard time with is trying to figure out where we are staying when we are traveling to a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you are heading south, and no matter where you will have a great time, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've picked our favourite route south! We've stayed in Pismo Beach a few times and loved it along with the little town of Solvang - you have to visit those Danish Bakeries there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My my lady - you better not get run over crossing the 101 to Best Buy!

    I'm just going to investigate whether Canadians can join Elks. We have Elks in Canada but not with RV sites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just don't take the motorhome on Route 1 between Monterey and Morro Bay. It is very narrow with a lot of hairpin turns. 31 miles that could take up to 90 minutes to drive! You will enjoy Hearst Castle though. They have several different tours. Drive safe. Miss you all and hope to be back out west in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We been doing that journey in 2005/2006. Loved every minute of it. And Solvang is really a nice danish town. Nice to see for me, since I grew up 40miles south of the Danish border.

    ReplyDelete
  13. write in that jello and stir and stir....Hope you land someplace where we can see ya though!

    ReplyDelete