Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

February 13, 2012

Valentine Baby – Stuck in the Sand

 
Good judgment comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgment.

Happy Birthday, Sandi!!  Our Valentine's Day Baby!!

2012feb1211
Wide open spaces!

Many places have a Saturday market.  There are several markets in the Yuma area over the weekends.  We found a small one down by the mall.  Since we were going back and forth to Best Buy (helping their bottom line), we decided to stop.  They had some gorgeous tomatoes, grapefruit, strawberries and a few other yummy fresh stuff.  It was a small market but we had a few good finds.

2012feb122
Farmer's Market

Famous Dave's is famous alright.  We met there for another great barbecue.  It was just another great get together with great food at a great restaurant and having great table mates. 

2012feb123
Great Food
2012feb124
Great People

I mentioned the other day that I had picked up the sports GoPro Hero Camera.  Well, you might imagine that since that time I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with it.  You know how mounts4that goes with anything new you get.  First of all, you have to figure out how it works.  Then, you have to figure out what neat things you can do with it.  Of course, it doesn’t stop there.  The next thing you want to know is what other accessories you just have to have to go with it!!

I think the hardest thing was figuring out where and how to connect it.  This little cam is mainly for action events.  It's built to take vibrations.  Thus, the picture doesn't wobble so much when recording on the ATV.  It also doesn’t connect via a tripod.  You get all these little contraptions and mounts to build your own unique angles for positioning the Hero upside down, sideways or even right side up. You just have to figure out what works best.  So, one little grip went on top of my helmet.  Another little grip went on my ATV and then on Terry’s.  Since I had more grips left ….. why not another one in the car.  Needless to say, I did get carried away.  Actually, that was the easy part.  The hard part was figuring what resolution and whether I wanted it wide or narrow or so on and so on.  Each one of these little changes required a little ride to see what worked best.

carangle
Driving down the road.
Check this one out.  The little angles were mounted on the mirror and this is what I got.  Cool, huh?

2012feb125
A dash cam
An opportunity for one of the best shots I messed up because I didn’t have the angle right.  This happened in the small sand dunes behind where we’re parked. These are just a few still shots I grabbed from the video.
stuck1
Stuck in the sand -- first time.
 Terry got stuck in the sand twice and I had to pull him out using the winch.  It was then that I discovered having a camera cam on my helmet just didn’t work for me.  I was constantly tipping my head up, tipping it down and to one side or another.  Thus, much of the shots weren’t really great.  Oh well ….. lessons learned.  The first time he got stuck we didn't have too many problems pulling him out.  Compared to the second time it was pretty easy.



stuck2
Stuck in the sand -- second time.
The second time he got stuck took quite a bit of work getting him out.  At one point I was beginning to wonder if we'd be able to do it.  We did but now I know the next time we go back to those dunes I'm going to watch him to make sure he doesn't get in trouble again.  A good woman with a winch certainly does come in handy.

Happy Valentine's Day


‘Tis life on the road.

8 comments:

  1. Oh that good looks soooo delicious!
    What is it with Terry? How come you never get stuck and he can't seem to stay unstuck? MEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well looks like you are having fun i n the dunes, even when he gets stuck, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that food looks sooooo good. And I'm sitting here starved to death. LOL

    I'm heading to Yuma tomorrow - shoot me an e-mail and let me know where you are.

    I've wanted that camera for awhile now 'cause all the biker crowd have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, want to know why it's Terry that's always stuck. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm so what you were really saying was" having a Wench with a Winch" along is always a good thing, RIGHT? :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day friends. Love the clip art Valentine. X0X0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the photos you posted were stills. Barfing on my computer would not be a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like great food and fun!
    We might be going to the Scandinavian Festival on Saturday. That is if Peter isn't suffering from jet-lag.

    ReplyDelete