Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

March 23, 2012

How High Can Your Levels Lift Your RV?


Old age is when Father Time has overtaken Mother Nature.

I don’t really need an answer to that question of how high can your levels lift your RV?.  I bet we all think about that comfort zone as our RV tires are lifted off the ground with our levels.  I also bet that comfort level is different for different folks.


SHollow0il3
Our site consists of several acres and no maintenance required!

On my previous blog I posted that we checked out a state park that was just a short distance from where we were staying.  The park was gorgeous and some sites were just huge.  Since  we need to give the northern locations a little more time to dry out and warm up, we were looking for another place to kill some more time.  With temperatures expecting to be close to 80 for a few days this week, we didn’t want to move too far.  Our preference was to continue hanging around instead of dealing with snow shovels, umbrellas,  long coats and heaters.

SHollow0il4


At first we were just going to stay put but then we decided to go for it.  It took us about a half an hour to get ready to move and arrive at our new location.  We paid for six nights and proceeded to a partial hook-up site on the Sandpit side.  This side was OHV friendly and also had the gorgeous waterfront view.  It wasn’t long until we discovered a little more about the site we had just paid for.  It was on a downhill slope.  Now this wasn’t just any downhill slope.  It was a real downhill slope.  This is a spot great for a 5th wheel but not necessarily a motorhome.  Our levels brought our tires off the ground and we still had a ways to go.  The host offered huge bricks and boards to raise us even more.  With so many other empty sites in the park we decided we didn’t want to do that.  We’ve had to level before by raising those tires up but this was just short of ridiculous.


SHollow0il2
View from our site.

Instead we moved over to a pull-thru on the other side leaving our ATVs parked in the site of the host.  Our new site is huge, huge, huge.  Not all sites are this big but they are all much bigger than any RV park we’ve been to.  We’ve had some great sites this winter (and some not so great sites) but this one goes close to the top of the good list.   Of course, I must admit that having beautiful sunshine and gorgeous warm weather sure helps. 

I think I really, really like state parks.  Maybe, I just like THIS state park.

P. S.  Duchess thinks this is Heaven!

-- Upriverdavid --  I did get your message about this park.  Thank you!  However, I had no way to respond directly to you.  Any other great parks on our way north?

‘Tis life on the road.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, That site sure is amazing. I love State Parks - far better than any Rv Park by a mile !
    But I LOVE the 'cost' of boondocking even better.
    We sure did get spoiled in the Arizona desert didn't we.
    BTW, I can't imagine having my tires off the ground in order to level = scary !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like State Parks, too, but they are also kind of expensive for me, so I don't stay long. COE parks are just as nice, and the ones I found had water nearby. Somehow having a lake or stream close by makes such a difference.

    Then again, desert living, for FREE, is worth not having a lake nearby. :)

    I'm glad you're loving where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Love the view. How peaceful it looks, and the temps sound great to me. Glad Duchess approves. It is so much more fun when our traveling family is happy. Bella isn't too happy right now...too much sand and NO grass...boo. Enjoy your weekend in your beautiful setting. ~wheresweaver

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good call on sticking around longer and missing out on all that snow stuff.

    On our previous MH, the levelers were manual, not automatic like our Journey.

    When I tried the level system for the first time, I got it level, then went outside to hook up the power and found I had lifted the entire MH off the ground, not a single wheel was touching the ground. Oops!

    I had to practice leveling a few more times to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question from new owner of a class A: are you suppose to lift the tires off the ground? I thought it was not a good idea to put all that weight on the jacks. I have read and read, so maybe I am just confused about all my "new" info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all the many state parks I've visited I don't think any can compare to sites that are over 100' and still with great separation, combined with free hot showers!! I will visit Sand Hollow again!
    Glad you are enjoying!!
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we were headed your way. We would definitely stop there for a few nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never lift our rear tires off the ground; that's where the brakes are! We did, however, once break a hydraulic jack. I think it's because we were parked on a street and the distance down into the gutter was too far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel nice and warm just looking at your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to look at the class map right now to see where you are. Be good for us?

    ReplyDelete