Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

April 19, 2012

Racing at Woodland’s Tulip Fest

 
Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
 
tulips191

About a week ago I posted a picture of one of the fields where Holland Bulb Company grows their tulips.  Every April the company sponsors a Tulip Fest. 

tulips21
Sabrina is freezing!!


This year the festival was set for two weekends. On the first day this was also the starting place for a 5K race. It was definitely festival time. The weather was nice even though a little on the chilly side in the morning.

tulips31
Jordie and Brendan

Jordan and Sabrina registered for the race. They do several of these each year. By the time I arrived the parking lot was almost full and it was evident that a festival was going on. Tents were up, vendors showing their wares and the tulips were the background for many pictures.

tulips171
There she goes!!

I snapped a few pictures of them and off they went.


tulips91

Jordan came in first for her age group and Sabrina even surprised herself with beating her goal by several minutes. 

tulips201
tulips81

The owners of the fields were originally from Holland.  Farming tulips was their dream.  They bought land and that was the beginning of the Holland Bulb company.  Thus, the Dutch influence with the windmills and wooden shoes are a major part of their farm.  Holland is known for beautiful flowers and especially for their tulips.  We’ve been to Holland a couple times but never did time it right to view their tulip fields. 

tulips51 tulips71
tulips61 tulips41

When we lived in Washington many years ago, we had a good sized vegetable garden plus lots of shrubs and flowers. I also had a little greenhouse where I got to play in the dirt. We had many spring flowers including tulips. I never considered digging in the dirt work when it came to flowers. It was a hobby and I loved it. It’s the one thing I miss by not being able to have my own little flower garden. We saw a little greenhouse at Home Depot the other day. Terry wanted me to buy it …. but where would I put it ??????????????????????


tulips4100

I took a zillion pictures of the tulips at the Tulip Fest.  Obviously, I’m only posting a few here.   Even though I figured I was at least a month early,  I drove by the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens. I thought some of the flowers might be in bloom but it was closed.  We visited last year and the year before last.  It’s another beautiful garden in the middle of Woodland.

tulips1100 tulips5100

Nice weather in this area brings out fishermen.  This is Horseshoe Lake which is in the middle of Woodland and on the way to the tulip fields.

tulips3100
Even a chilly morning doesn't keep the fishermen away from the Horseshoe Lake.

‘Tis life on the road.

8 comments:

  1. It does look cold. Now they're saying 103 this week-end. There has to be someway to meet in the middle on this temperature thing. Beautiful flowers and a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT...no...I NEED to be there. I LOVE flowers. This would be an amazing event to see. Thanks for sharing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you ran after the kids to document their race with your camera, right?

    Love tulips, wish they'd last longer. Seems they bloom and vanish overnight. :c(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We managed to get to the Netherlands once during tulip time--it was beautiful. But, your version is beautiful, too, and a lot cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the tulip festival sound like a great time! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilacs are my absolute favourite !

    Now what about that cabin news ??

    ReplyDelete