Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

April 12, 2012

Woot, Woot! I Have a New Phone

 
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
 
 
4gs1
I know.  I know.  It’s about time I upgraded.  Up until Monday I was out carrying around an antique 3G iPhone.  This phone was really a dinosaur.  When the phone first came out fateveryone thought it was amazing.  It was!!  As time went along Apple kept coming out with software updates and new versions of the iPhone.  The problem with my phone and that of my daughter-in-law, is that we upgraded the phone software as it came out ….. wrong!  That wasn’t the right thing to do as we both discovered later.  Some of those software updates were for newer versions of the iPhone and not for our version.  Once the new software was loaded It slowed down many features of the phone including just answering or making a call or sending a text.  However, neither of us wanted to put out the $$$ for the upgrade.  We opted to complain to each other instead.

The sample conversations on the pictures of the phone on this blog are here for you to read but these are questions that were asked and not typed.  They were asked and answered verbally.  It's the conversation.

During our Easter get together the subject of phones came up ~~~ that’s better than politics ~~ isn’t it??  I discovered that my phone was really now the only antique since Sabrina had upgraded to the 4S and Tammi had previously upgraded to the 4G.    After checking out a few of the new features, I knew what I would be purchasing the next siri9dday!! 

Now a phone is a phone is a phone.  NOT!   In this case, there is a little lady who lives in the 4Gs.  If you have one, you know exactly who this little lady is.   After Sabrina’s demonstration I had to have one.  In addition to all the problems caused by updating my system software when I shouldn’t have been, I wanted most of all to have Siri in my phone.


Who or what is Siri?  She’s the voice of the computer in this phone.  She’s the microphone.    Ask her a question and she’ll siri8find the answer.  Tell her to send a text and she’ll even do that for you.  If you text while you drive, all you’re really doing now is talking.  Siri does the work.   If you need to make a phone call, Siri will do it for you.  Just a word of warning though if you get this phone …. don’t tell her she’s stupid because she definitely has a personality of her own and she just may put you in your place.  Who is she?  She’s your new personal assistant and you’ll think she’s right out of Star siri6Trek!


Yes. This is definitely something I had to have.  It’s just going to make it easier when we are in a strange place on the road.  Isn’t that a great excuse to get the upgraded phone?  I’m sure Siri will be able to help.  You just tap the mike and the conversation begins.  She’ll tell you all sorts of things.  All you have to do is ask. 

 I asked her how old she was and she told me that shouldn’t matter.  I asked her the height of a bridge and she searched the internet for me.  I asked her IQ and she told me she wasn’t going to answer that.  Now others have asked where to hide the body and she has told them that too.

Is Siri a new toy?  Of course, she is and we all love toys and gadgets. Our next new toy may be a universal remote.  We either have to buy one of those or buy another blu-ray player.  (Actually, we don't have to buy this exact one but that's the one we want.)  We lost the remote to it and it doesn't play without the remote.


.


‘Tis life on the road.

8 comments:

  1. You talk about antique phones. Ours is super antique. For us the first Iphone 3 would be a revolution.It might be nice to ask SIRI a question an get an answer. what an amazing technology, but I rather ask my wife. She could get jealous if I'd instead ask Siri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, ours is a phone-function only LG. :(( J.P. doesn't like the new stuff. Are we getting old?
    My grandma said the same when I got a record player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't even want to know how old my phone is. It is so scratched, I can't even read the time without opening the phone.
    Siri has a bit of an attitude...I love it. Carrie's roommate, Nick, sore one time when asking it a question...Siri replied, "Nicholas, you don't have to swear." What a hoot. Enjoy your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I need, another woman to tell me that I'm doing something wrong...

    Glad you like your new phone, I still miss my rotary dial phone.
    :c(

    Yes, I'm slow to accept change. Have to go now and hitch up the mule to the wagon. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. There's going to be no end to the electronic toys we'll be able to buy! I don't know if I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of saying wake me in an hour and having it happen. My phone is so dumb it doesn't do anything except ring. I have other gadgets to do the other things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya, But I bet it's not as fancy smanchy as my GPS !!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a new phone and I guess its already out of date! bummers!

    ReplyDelete