Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

May 5, 2012

Barnes and Noble – Men’s Interests vs. Women’s Interests ??


Sure God created man before woman but then again, you always make a rough draft before creating the final masterpiece.

Okay, okay .. normally I don’t care for these stupid men/women type of jokes but in this case, it 148700476kind of fits this blog.  I guess I’m kind of lying when I say I don’t like them.  Not all of them are true but they can still be funny.  If it weren’t for Barnes & Noble and their categorization of magazines, I wouldn’t post that.  


I like my Color Nook.  Many RVers have traded in the hard copy books for the eBooks through eReaders offered by Kindle, Nook, Sony and the list goes on.  Like I said I like the Nook.  It's not just an eReader but I can also check emails, search the web, watch movies, play games, mess with the apps and even view stored pictures.

Not every eReader is able to download magazines and newspapers like the Nook.  That is one thing I really like.  I can download magazines.  I can either download one particular issue or even order a subscription on my favorite ones and they will be delivered to me without much effort.  That I like. 

Magazines have short articles and stories and are usually about something folks are interested in.  That’s just what I was going to do the other day – check for magazines.  The availability of different magazines just continues to grow as more and more of them also are available via the eBook format. The Nook is not proprietary.  It can read many different formats.
167183337


My Nook was charged, connected to our aircard Wi-Fi and I was ready to search for what might be an interesting topic. Even with an aircard these books and magazines are fast and quick downloads. The magazines are grouped into subject matter such as Entertainment, Health, Current Events, Food, Sports and so on.  Then close to the bottom of this list of topics you slide down to Women’s Interest and Men’s Interest. I found this “interesting” the way Barnes and Noble had grouped their idea of Women’s and Men’s interest into groups of magazines.  They definitely had a man doing the job.  That was obvious.170855555


The majority of magazines for women were about food or being in the kitchen and staying in shape.  A couple even would help you look good naked.  Now that’s just what we women want to do!!  Oh, there was a magazine or two on taking care of the house and taking care of the kids.  The oddball one was TV Guide.  There were no real interest magazines other than one for scrapbooking and who really does that anymore in this digital world?

These were definitely in the Women’s Interest category.  I bet you could tell that.


168525235 w1 133658296 170177909


Next, I checked out what had been categorized as Men’s Interests.    What a difference!!  Sure they had the normal muscle man magazines but definitely not as many.  Runner magazines were given to men’s interests.  Heck, I know more women runners than men.  Some of the magazines you might expect such as Hot Rod, Field & Stream, and Handguns but what about the magazines for IPads, finance, photography, computers and travel?  Why are those considered “men’s interests”?    Of course, TV guide was also listed under this category.

These were definitely in the Men’s Interest category. I bet you could tell that too.


150588729 170018301 170855541 152871787


Now why are the following magazines of interest to men and not women?  Many women I know have IPads, are into photography, love wildlife including birds and are travel maniacs.


149971589 138255834 149977932 168076793


At the time I searched there were a total of 76 magazines listed for women and 165 for men.  Take a guess who gets the two magazines below?


151444369 133657770

I’m sure you figured that one out.  According to Barnes and Noble it’s not the women-folks who are interested in them.  Like I said it certainly appears that top subjects for women are pretty much limited to cooking, eating, dieting and taking care of the house.  Well, that’s in addition to watching TV.  On the other hand, men are interested in just about everything else??  Is that really the case?  I don’t think so.  Someplace along the line I think B&N has lost their marbles?  Oh … but isn’t marbles a boy’s game?


‘Tis life on the road.

10 comments:

  1. People magazine? I still think I enjoy the romance of a hard copy book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like the feel of a book in my hand. I don't and never have read many magazines. I look at them in the doctor's office but they don't excite me.
    I do like the look of the color nook, and that it can do more than just a dedicated reader. Not sure I or Paul will get one soon. Who knows what will come out next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Kindle is always at the max of books it will hold. I have the original Kindle, so no color or bells and whistles, but I love it.

    Very interesting about the male/female magazine division. We still aren't considered equal, are we? That's so sad, if you look, you'll find things like that all over the place. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband gave the new Nook Tablet for a Christmas gift and I love it. I added a memory micro chip and a new bag to carry the Nook in. It goes every where I go. It has pretty much replaced my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my older Kindle. The best thing about it is the free 3G connection. When I don't have WiFi, I can almost always get a 3G connection and can shop for and download books and even check my email. Not much good for web surfing or looking at pictures. No movie streaming.

    That magazine classification was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still enjoy holding onto a book or magazine. This is the necessary item that gets us outside and away from our computers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marbles was a boy's game but they lost it, too. Apparently along with enough brain cells to keep them from recognizing today's women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Men can read? Or do they just look at pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of editor did assemble these lists? Must be one who survived the time before women's emancipation. OR?
    Cannot be one of the young, dynamic generation?
    OR did we live in an elusion all these years?
    You should send your thoughts back to them...
    By the way, for reading, I prefer a hardcover. E-books make my eye dry and itchy.

    ReplyDelete