Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

May 13, 2012

Happy Mother’s Day


I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.  They have clung to me all my life.    ~Abraham Lincoln

Okay … I posted this tribute to my mother last year on Mother’s Day.  I want to post it again.

~~
gbh1
If you are a mother, Happy Mother’s Day to you and especially Happy Mother’s Day to Tammi and Sabrina!!

- - - - My Mother

I think we all felt our mothers would be around forever but we also knew they wouldn’t be. Their days are numbered just like our days are numbered. My mom died when she was 66 years young.  She was not only my mother, she was my friend
.gbfh1

She made sure I had lots of music lessons but I did not inherit her talent.  She could play the piano, the organ and had an amazing voice.  She used her talents often since she was extremely active in her church.  I can pick at the piano, organ and even on an accordion but you wouldn’t want me to sing. 

I did say she had an amazing voice but I don’t ever remember her raising that voice in anger to me or anyone else.   I wish I could turn back time.  Even though we were very close and visited either in person or on the phone every single day, I still wish I had taken even more time to spend with her.  She was the rock who held the family together.  She was the person who loved me more than anyone else.  She was my mother.


gbh2

So even though she isn’t around any more to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to, she’s he one I feel this day is all about …. my mother.  Some 30-odd years later it still hurts and I still miss her every single day.  Mom, I miss you and love you.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other day I drove to Vancouver to wish my Aunt Jenny a Happy Birthday and a Happy Mother’s Day!  She celebrated her 93rd birthday on Thursday.  She’s allergic to flowers so we’ve never been able to give her flowers for any occasion.  We know she likes birds because she has a parakeet named Terry.  The bird came with the name.  She didn’t name it after the Terry we know.  On my way to her house I stopped by Craft Warehouse.  The counter girl helped put together a little gift for her.  It was a birdcage!!



jenny19_1 jenny18_1
This is Jenny on her birthday.  The next day she broke her hip.   Surgery is scheduled on Mother's Day!  

Happy Mother's Day!

 

 'Tis life on the road.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful posting, mothers are special people for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you made me cry...really. Paul is looking at me like I am crazy.
    Like you, I wish I could turn back time. How does that old saying go...You don't know what you have until you lose it. BINGO!
    Besides crying, I did get a laugh. Can't play the piano, can't sing. Well at least you got her good looks!
    Enjoy your day with the family. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching post...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first not having a mother to wish Happy Mother's Day but my daughter Gayle's first Mother's Day.

    Happy Mother's Day Jeri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to you and all the other Mothers out there.

    My own Mother is 86 years old and (thankfully) very healthy.

    I talk with her almost every day since I've been on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tribute to your mother. She certainly did a great job at raising a wonderful daughter. So sorry about Jenny's hip. It really is tough to get old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand your loss, I miss my mom, too.

    ReplyDelete