Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

August 3, 2012

Change is in the Air

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.

With us I bet the title of this blog does not surprise you.  Remember this posted over a month ago?

ROUTE_thumb[2]
Florida Keys

Remember what I said?

I was pretty clear when I said maybe, we’re thinking and only time will tell.  I also titled that one as Half the Fun of Travel is the Research.  Here is the blog.

I also said that sometimes when we researched something to death, it’s almost time to look at other places.  We’ve been looking at alternate options too.  Isn’t it fun to be on the road?  In other words we’re still in the thinking, considering and in the planning stage.  Do we really have to decide right now where we’ll be in October or even December?   I think not.  We know we’ll be someplace but we’re not quite sure where.

Here are some considerations.  It is about 3700 miles to travel from Portland to Key West on the route that is in consideration.  Is it really some place we want to drive? That's a long ways just to go down and turn around and come back. It’s not that we haven’t been to the Keys.  We have.  Right now we don’t have an answer.  Don’t you just love people who can’t make up their minds?  The good thing is that we don't have to make a decision now.

So, here’s route #2 that's currently on the table.  Now being on the table doesn’t mean anything more than route #1.  It’s just a thought or a "maybe" and has nothing to do with the ending location.

map
Corpus Christie
The deal is winter is winter.  You can never tell what southern destination is going to have the best weather without the rain, the ice or even the winds.  Unusual winters do happen.  It happened when we were going to Florida and a hurricane decided to head our way.

Average temperature certainly isn’t all of it.  There is the wind, the rain and most definitely the humidity.  During the winter the humidity can even make a place feel warmer than one that is dry.  Of course, you may also have other side effects but we’re not going to go into that.  You have to click on the little thumbnails below to read the average temperatures.
yuma
Yuma, AZ – January avg = high 69, Low 42

corpus
Corpus Christie, TX  - January avg = high 67, Low 47
Click on the weather thumbnails in order to check out monthly averages.

We still aren’t sure of anything.  We do know that the wind blows and blows in South Texas close to the Gulf.  Sometimes it blows so much you don’t want to be outside.  So, here are a couple more options.

pismosalton
California desert
saltonsea
January avg … High: 72  Low 40

Now here’s one more question we’ve been asking ourselves.  Should we take our ATVs south?  If we do, the complete routing changes.

‘Tis life on the road.  The question is … what road?

8 comments:

  1. Paul and I talked last night, and we are about 80% sure we are going to try Florida this year. We probably won't stay much on the Gulf or ocean side...too expensive. We will most likely stay just far enough inland that we can still drive a reasonable length to the water.
    Whatever you two decide, I know you will have a great time! Looking forward to your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you guys are still "flexible". I figure you'll show up somewhere and that is where you'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't matter which route you take or where your winter destination is as long as it's SOUTH!

    No worries, you've got plenty of time to change your mind, again and again and again and again... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've become good at not committing. I will be picking up my new RV in Texas when it is ready then going to Rainbow's End for my shakedown cruise where I know I can get help if I need it. After that, your guess is as good as mine. So I research everything south of I-10 to be ready when I decide where I'm going. I didn't like Florida enough to go back there but I've never explored the Texas Hill Country so I may get no further than that; who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really like the Corpus Christie and Rockport Texas area. Usually decent wether but a huge difference with all the humidity compared to Arizona. And we usually like to stop there for a couple of weeks every winter on our way to Arizona.
    Wherever you go it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the wonderful part about full timing. You can change your mind as many times as you want! We've been known to change our plans midstream on the way somewhere...Really liked your average daily temperature charts. Where do you find something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to read about the routes for these different destinations and some of the thinking that goes into choosing one.

    Luckily for us, the southern California desert is our favourite winter destination so it's an easy choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why go to all that research, just put up your big map on the wall and throw a dart, problem solved!
    See you in Florida!!!!

    ReplyDelete