Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

December 20, 2012

Heading Out for the Holidays .. Maybe


"Life is a great bundle of little things."
Wednesday -

Today will be a very busy day.  Usually the day before travel it is.  When I’ve had my fill of coffee I’ll get to work getting ready for it.  Yesterday was busy too.  After a bit of running around and getting last minute items, we also had a “farewell” barbecue for IYQ at Toni’s place.  He’s pulling Quartzsite_big_tentout this morning and heading back to his spot in California.  I guess farewell isn’t the right word since we’ll see him again in “Q” next month.  We’re already looking forward to heading that way again.  Seeing all the people and the activity they bring to that little oasis in the desert is certainly something to look forward to.


The temperature in the motorhome dipped down to 57 overnight.  Needless to say, on came the furnace and a heavy bathrobe.  I’m beginning to think Arizona just isn’t far enough south this time of year.  I wish they’d get going on that bridge from the west coast to Hawaii but am starting to think it won’t be completed in my lifetime.


This morning I’m going to print out all the non-stop flights on Alaska Airlines, Southwest and US Air from here to Portland.  Hopefully there will be one empty seat for me on one of those planes airprot… hopefully.  If not, I might be at the airport all day long or worse yet …. Terry might have to drive back and pick me up late tomorrow night.  Just in case I’m also filling my iPad with books and movies.  I have a feeling it will be a very long day.  It’s not often I really want to be wrong.  However, this time I really want to be wrong.  Terry?  Well, he actually has a confirmed ticket on Sunday.  Let’s hope he doesn’t make it ahead of me.  After all, I have a little shopping to finish once I get up there, people to see and presents to wrap.


The good thing is I have only a couple small Christmas presents with me.  We shipped everything else so we wouldn’t have to worry about checking boxes and have them get lost …. been there, done that.


Daylight is starting to peak out.  That’s the signal to get myself dressed and sort laundry so I can get it ready and pack the few items I plan on taking.  Hopefully, my next blog will be written from the state of Washington. 

Thursday  Morning -

Our plan was to leave Casa Grande for the Phoenix airport about 4:30 AM.  That's what we did.  There was ice on the car windows and it was definitely chilly.  However, it was also a much easier day than expected.  An hour before flight time the first flight I tried to stand-by for had one empty seat.  I just knew I wouldn't get that one.  That doesn't happen unless I'm flying American.   I just knew all the employees from Southwest would rush to the gate in front of me.  Thus, just as I pulling up the internet on my iPhone to check on Alaska Airlines,  my name was called and I was given a ticket.  So much for all those books and movies I had loaded on my iPad.  I wouldn't need them this day.  Yipee!!  I have arrived now and the day is still young.
 



‘Tis life on the road.

9 comments:

  1. Glad everything fell in place. Safe travels and happy family time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad that everything worked out! enjoy your stay in Washington State!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIPEEEEEE is right! Another Christmas miracle. Enjoy your visit with family and friends.

    Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Glad to see you made it easily. (I bought Terry two! boxes of carb free ice cream bars. I hope he doesn't eat them all at once.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great. Gives you a lot more time for shopping!!! Have a wonderful visit and a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes luck has to go your way. Have fun being with your family and don't spend too much on all those last minute Christmas gifts...you know you want to! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have been awfully good to get your wish fulfilled for that seat. I hope the return trip and everything in between goes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy you got lucky, good for you now just to enjoy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ice on the car windshield !!! Anyway, So glad to hear you got on the flight.

    ReplyDelete