Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

July 6, 2012

New Fangled Contraption & Powell’s Books


If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading or do things worth writing. ~ Benjamin Franklin


The other day we made a stop at a Taco Time restaurant.  We were there for lunch.  The place was packed.  We put in our order at the counter including soft drinks.  That’s when we found out what the long line led to.  This restaurant had just installed a new drink machine.  It was complicated enough that they had one of their employees explaining just how it worked.  The machine offered numerous different drinks.  Many more drinks than most of the fountains at other fast food restaurants offer.  However, there was a huge, huge downside.  Actually, Walt Disney the creator of lines, would have been proud.  This item creates lines.

July12

There was only one machine and every patron had to stand in line to get the drinks they had ordered.  Unlike the fountain drink machines, one person could be getting a Coke and another person getting water, ice or 7-Up at the same time.  Not so with this one.  It was definitely a line creator.  Is this the new drink machine of the future?  If it is and establishments only have one, fast food restaurants should no longer be called fast food.
 ------------

Tammi had boxes of books she wanted to turn in for cash so off we went on Sunday to Powell’s Books in downtown Portland..

powells1_thumb3
I’ve mentioned this place before. I’ve also suggested it as a tourist attraction for folks visiting the Portland area. If you’re not a book lover, don’t go there. You’ll get lost in the aisles and aisles of new and used books. Parking is fairly easy. They have their own little parking garage but it can be full on the weekends. On the east side of the building is another parking lot not as well known because it is only available after hours and on the weekends.
powells2_thumb1

Look for the big Dr. Marten’s sign and you’ll usually find several open spaces even when the major one is full. Then, read the small signs and they’ll give you the hours.

July26_thumb
The main store fills a whole city block. You can get lost on the many floors of books. Areas are divided by colors. As an example, Civil War history is in the purple room and Travel is in the red room. The rooms are huge and books are organized on shelves about nine rows high. If you can’t find the book here, it just might not be available anyplace.

Now how many people would be looking for this book:


~ ~ Hamburger America ~~ 150 Great Burger Joints
While Tammi was returning books and scoping out new titles, I was also busy checking out the travel section. If you need a map or are researching a destination and want a book, this is the place to go. Just the right book might be there. If not, you can discover what others have put together hoping it’s a topic you are looking for.

There were several books that I wanted but I preferred to have them on my Nook. I snapped little photos of the cover and then sat down and searched online to see if the book was available in ebook form. A few were and a few weren’t. I purchased a couple that weren’t and figured I’d order the other two through the internet.  This one I didn’t purchase and didn’t check to see if it was available.  Someone might be interested but not me.
 
Where the Bodies Are
July24_thumb1

This is what I learned today --
 
Did you know that a blue whale is almost as loud as a jet engine communicating up to 300 miles away.  However, a 2-inch pistol shrimp is even louder than a blue whale!  We can’t hear them because the sounds are too low for humans to hear. 



‘Tis life on the road.

10 comments:

  1. Standing in line to get my water would not make me happy. How were the people in line reacting? Most of my books are on my Nook. Don't buy many actual books anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our local sub shop has one of those machines. I hate it. I swear you have to punch six different buttons to get a Diet Coke and if you aren't fast enough, it clears everything and you have to start over. They do, however, have a separate cold water jug next to it for those who get tired of waiting in line and those who have enough sense to just order water in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drink machine sure looks frustrating, and the lineups, not for me thank you very much.

    The book store sounds great. We like to check out various ones around the country, looking for good deals and book exchanges. No ebooks for us, we still enjoy our paperbacks outside in the shade. With this hot weather my wife has been reading a novel a day, so we are always looking for more book deals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say, I like the looks of the new machine, but it does seem insane that everyone has to use one fountain. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?
    We really enjoyed our time at Powell's. If we weren't doing a HUGE walking tour of the town, we probably would have made a few purchases. I have never been to a bookstore that offers a map so we could find our way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That new machine sure sounds like a loser to me.

    Great looking bookstore though, I'll be checking that out next time we're in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool looking machine. Too bad it's a stupid system.
    Reminds me of getting on the funicular in Ljubljana. You had to scan your ticket, the same way grocery items get scanned at the check out, but it was too fussy, so there had to be a guy there helping with the process anyway. Then why have the machine? Good for him though, he had a job.
    That's one of the reasons I won't use one of those "self serve" check-outs. There are too many people in need of work. Just give me a real cashier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I can just about see the line-up in front of that drinks monster. Isn't amazing how technology can take over? If I was the owner of that place that machine would be ending up on the curb as a specialty piece of garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Where the bodies are" Do you know there's a web site www.whosaliveandwhosdead.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've run into one of those soda machines. You should also let your choice run a couple of seconds before you put your cup under the dispenser or you'll get a taste of what the person in front of you chose.

    Don't like a shot of Dr. Pepper in my Diet Coke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw one of those drink machines in Marietta GA. I couldn't figure it out. Finally a young man got our of his seat and showed me how. I didn't think I had gotten that far behind times, but guess I have if I can't even operate a coke machine.

    ReplyDelete