Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

September 24, 2012

Time to Get Back and Go Again ?

 
Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
 
Thursday rolled around and it was time to return to Portland. My flight was an early one. The plan was to be at the airport by about 5:30 for a 7:00 am flight. Having a flight that early means you lay awake half the night waiting for the alarm to go off and that’s what I did.  After all I didn’t want to miss the flight. By 3:00 am I 1antique2was wide awake and couldn’t sleep.  If I couldn’t sleep, you can bet Tammi couldn’t sleep either.  We were up much earlier than planned.  She was taking me to the airport for the flight back to Portland. 

My breakfast selection

At least at this time in the morning there weren't long lines at security. It was a snap to get on the other side and settle in for boarding time. I always like uneventful flights even more than I like uneventful RV travel.  With fewer airplanes flying this route, more people wanting to get there and upgrades harder to come by, getting lucky enough to get an upgrade to first is much rarer than it used to be.  However, I did.   I really like being upgraded. I'm always amazed though at the number of people I've sat next to on those early  morning flights who feel just because the alcohol is free in first class, that they need to consume as much as they can and as fast as they can.   The fella next to me drank all the way. Well, I did too but I drank coffee.  He was going to Japan.  He’ll be in real trouble if he thinks he’s going to drink all across the Pacific!!
3am 
By the time I arrived back in Portland I was zonked.  That’s when the 3 AM wake up time starting taking it’s toll.  The weather upon arrival was quite a bit different than it was in Phoenix and also when I left about a week ago.  You could tell fall was in the air.  It’s definitely time to start thinking about getting the motorhome in shape for that trip south.

Traveling by air is a lot different than traveling down the road.  There are definitely pros and cons both ways.  We’re so lucky we have that option.  This trip has also made me realize how much I’ve missed this kind of travel.  We used to do it frequently.  It was obvious that I was definitely out of practice.  I think we may have to do something about that.
lsandie1 
Actually, we’ve got quite a few things we need to do to get ready to hit the road. The cabin needs to be secured and we have two girls playing soccer so we’d like to see a few more games.  We’re thinking two or three weeks before we pull out. 

We still aren’t quite sure where we’re going to settle or even if we’re going to settle any place long term.  I’m not so sure it would work out for us.  We can always park hop between the county parks, Elks, membership parks and boondocking.  For some reason I just like doing it that way best.  I think we’ve been trying to force ourselves into finding that perfect RV park.  It might work for our friends but just maybe it’s not going to work for us.  I get hitchitch way too often.  Well, it may not work right now but one day it might.   I think I like the moving part best for now.  Someday .. we’ll find that perfect place if we still want it … maybe.   I also know we need to be someplace in Arizona this year.  Terry doesn’t think we really need to be in the Phoenix area but  a couple hours away would work.  Regardless of whether or not we’re happy with that, it’s where we need to be.  The good thing is that we also have lots of folks we know heading that way.

So now we know kind of where we’re going. The route to get there is still up in the air.  This week the maps come out, clean up and clean out begins. 


lodge1
The Elks Lodges in Arizona

In the meantime the deer have their winter coats.  Our deer feeder is finished but I know they’re going to miss us just as we’re going to miss them.  They’ve learned in order to get our attention all they have to do is stand in front of our glass door in the morning.  I’m glad they don’t know how to knock or they’d probably try it.  Duchess sure doesn’t like seeing their nose up against the glass.
  ldeers1

We finally had our little family get together for those three birthdays we had to postpone.  It was tough trying to get it scheduled when all nine of us could attend but about 8:30 Saturday morningparty1 we decided it would work at 11:00 that morning.  PANIC!!  I had shopping to do and Tammi flew to the store to put on a lunch spread for us.  Naturally …. I forgot my camera so clicked away on my iPhone.  I have a few mighty blurry shots. 

It wasn’t Sandi’s birthday but since the old folks (Sabrina, Robert & Terry) couldn’t get those party candles to blow out, she decided to show them how it was done.

‘Tis definitely time to think about getting on that road again.  I can certainly tell humidity is in the air and fall is just around the corner.












9 comments:

  1. We too, drag out the maps and do the which way thing. I think we have it now, but, you know with 26 days to go, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Settling some place is really really hard for some of us. But like I've said before compromise is the name of the game and I love Arizona. There are definitely lots of options for you down this way that are kind of close to Phoenix. I want to spend some time in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now it is AZ. I know we won't be seeing you this winter then. We may chuck FL and just stay in TX. Too many undecided going on right now with the MH for sale and then having to look for a truck and 5th wheel. Crazy time.

    I love that deer feeder. Those poor things are really going to miss you two.

    With the height of that flame, it looks like the entire family was celebrating at the same time...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite the candle flame on the Birthday Cake - hope they all blew out the candles on that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hitch itch is there and settleing in one place is not on the books for us in the near future thats for sure. Our plans iclude Arizona (because we love it there) but gonna stop in Florida first and take the leisurely drive west, just because we can and just can't sit still for too long.
    Enjoy the last few days at home a getting ready to hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have no idea how much I'm going to want to move but with my RV also being my daily driver it will move every time I need to buy groceries at the least. At least you don't have that as a criteria for moving. Although, maybe it will turn out to be a good excuse to not sit too long myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From last Winter's experience I found that after about 2 weeks I was wanting to move somewhere else. Can't see me wanting to stay in one spot for the whole Season - at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was there really a cake under all those candles? Surprised the fire department didn't show up!

    We're still looking at Key West after 1 January, that's the date of my son's promotion to CPO and we want to see him put on my old anchors. Then we're rolling on down the road. Philly in January is not where we want to be.

    You have lots of choices in AZ, wish we had that many out East.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get a bad case of Hitch Itch as well. I really can't imagine slowing down, but then, I assume some day we will want to. Maybe. I also hate having to make reservations, but since we will be in FL this year, I didn't feel like I had a choice.

    ReplyDelete