Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

September 6, 2012

Travel For Travel's Sake


I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
wall

Have you ever used the term climbing a wall?   To me it’s kind of like saying I need to do something other than what we're currently doing.  My feet are pretty itchy right now aka hitch-itch.  I'm thinking it's  time to go someplace but I really don't know where.  What we're doing right now reminds me of the stix and bricks life and I'm not real excited with it.  It's a little early to head south where temperatures are still close to 100.

<  ...  This is what most think about when talking about climbing a wall 


Even other than the high temperatures keeping us from heading out, we have too many things to finish before we get on the road.   Since we'll  probably be away for six or seven months, those little things should to be finished first.  Maybe ...  a little vacation would be nice.  Maybe  ... we need a little trip or two to somewhere right now!  A vacation sounds really good.


The other day I mentioned that we'd like to take a quick trip to Norfolk and visit Justin before his ship left port.  I had several comments about this.  Yes, we have looked at a map and we know how far Norfolk is.  :-)   We had never intended to drive the motorhome.  We thought it would be a nice weekend trip and we'd just fly there.  However, Justin just let me know his ship won't be in port then so that's not going to work.  They are getting ready to pull out on a training mission.  We'll have to save that destination for another time when his ship is going to be there with him on it.  That's not to say we won't go someplace else.  We will, perhaps.  We just aren't sure where yet but we're working on it.
sanfran 
This, of course, made me think about another time I had itchy feet.  I wanted to go someplace but wasn’t sure where.  What did I do?  I went to the airport and read the departure board.  I had to find a flight that flew late with a return flight even later.  Ah la!  San Francisco.  There was an open flight from Dallas to San Francisco.  I hopped on the plane, flew to San Francisco, had dinner in the air and grabbed another flight back.  The plane had empty seats so I was in luck.  During the summer months those seats are usually pretty full.  Now summer is over, kids are back in school and airplanes shouldn't be quite so crowded. At least that's what I'm hoping but I've been wrong many times about that.  Thus, the reason we've spent quite a few nights in an airport.  I can tell you the sleeping accommodations there aren't comfortable.

hertzIt can be a little difficult to work out all the travel details in a moment’s notice.  Most important is finding aircrafts with empty seats. That can be a real challenge and actually determines the destination for these little impromptu trips.  Just like campgrounds this time of year the hotels and motels aren't usually full so no reservations are needed.    More planning goes into car rentals because prices vary so much between weekend rates and week day rates.  Rentals at airports always have extra little fees tacked on to their price.  Sometimes those fees are even more than the actual rental itself.  Rental rates are almost always much, much less over the weekend – usually from Thursday to  Monday.   Better yet though is if you can find someplace you want to go and don't need a car.  Usually that's a big city with lots of local trams.  Can't think of any of those I want to go to right now.

We're just itching to go someplace.  Maybe, I should be more specific.  I'm just itching to go someplace.  Then, of course, there is the issue with Terry's parents. Even if we plan something, we may not be able to go.  It could mean he'll go to Phoenix and I'll stay here.  NOT!  This time if he goes to Phoenix, I'm going somewhere ... anywhere!!  Planning is half the fun  ... or so we say.  Stay tuned.

'Tis life on the road.


11 comments:

  1. There are so many places out there to visit, I can see how you are finding it difficult to decide.
    Since you are have a terrible time deciding, I went to Google Maps and decided you should go to Coeur D'Alene, Montana. We missed it when he headed east and have heard and read wonderful things about the town and area. They have wolf trapping certification classes there. Now I think that is something you have NEVER tried. That should cure your hitch-itch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend, you are so, so funny! You are right. We haven't done any wolf trapping certification classes ... nor do we intend to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with satisfying your itch, I am sure you will have fun no matter where you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be able to just go to the airport and get on the next plane leaving. Costs too much for most of us to fly like that though. And there's always TSA. When Mom lived in Denver I did go there for a weekend and it was wonderful to travel with no luggage--just what I stuffed in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would cost a lot to do that if you had to pay top $$ for it. Working for an airline and then having a husband who accumulated a million airline miles through his work made the difference. It is rare we ever traveled with more than a roll-on and a backpack .. no matter where we went or how long we were gone.

      Delete
  5. Boy can I relate to that hitch itch. Thank goodness mine is being taken care of now. Hope you can figure out someplace to go. How about Budapest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, here I am just learning to slow down and stay awhile, while you can't wait to speed up and go someplace.

    You are setting a bad example for me...

    Good luck getting this out of your system! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have the perfect location destination to where you can go. You go book a flight to Bangor, Maine from where you take a rental car and drive 3 hrs north to the Canada border. Then you enter Campobello Island where you get a free tour with a known outfit whose owner you know good enough to call him Pete. You take in at the Whale Watch Motel for a coupla days, then the itch might be over and you can go back home.
    How's that for a starter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya Peter, And then it's a short hop over the Atlantic to come see me !! LOL

      Delete
  8. Seriously though, I also have the hitch-itch real bad now. Just another few weeks and (hopefully) I'll be back on the road.

    ReplyDelete