Adventures in our Motorhome - 2012 Blog

September 11, 2012

Where Were You on 9/11?


Terrorism is a horrible thing that is the great threat to civilization on our planet. 

twinThere aren’t many things in our life we remember exactly what we were doing 11 years earlier.  However, most all of us know exactly where we where and when we heard the news about the airplanes hitting the New York towers 11 years ago today.  It’s hard for folks to forget the disaster of 9/11.  Today will be full of memories with people sharing their thoughts and experiences of that time.  It is something none of us will forget.  

Terry was at home watching TV. I was on my way to work when I received a call from him telling me to turn on the radio.  An airplane had just crashed into one of the towers.  Since I worked for an airline my first question to him was asking what airline company was it.  At first they didn’t know.  Then, the news hit about another airplane hitting the Towers.   We knew it wasn’t an accident.  It was worse. 
Americana 
As more and more details flooded the networks, there was a lot more going on behind the scenes. Four airplanes were involved in the tragedy and two of them were ours.   Passenger lists were shut down, airplanes were grounded and people were stranded everywhere.  Our parking lot was filled with security, news media and reporters.  It was not only chaos inside our building but outside also.   We lost passengers, employees and airplanes.   Members of staff were sent to help the family members of those lost.  It was a terrible situation for America, for thousands of families and for our company. 

Most of the news outside of our buildings told of the terrible losses in the Towers.  It  was just awful.  Inside our buildings were the stories of the people lost on our airplanes  -- employees and passengers.  As time moved on we remembered those lost by having memorials.  We talkedunited about the people, shared stories and flashed photos on huge screens. 

What I was thankful for was my son was not there.  Just a short time before that he had worked for Morgan Stanley in those same New York Towers.  He changed jobs on September 10th and was then in Atlanta.


Will we ever heal?  I don’t think so.  Will we ever forget?  The answer to that is never.

- - - - - 

9/11 will be remembered for one more reason.   Terry's father passed this morning. 


10 comments:

  1. Oh dear friends...we are so sorry for your loss. May our Dear Lord comfort you and give you peace. All our love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers are with you both for strength and peace over Terry's dad passing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of you loss, our condolences to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family, our condolences as well. May you find comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry for your loss..our condolences to you and your family..a sad day, indeed. :*(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about the loss of Terry's Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never easy to lose your parents. Prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our condolences and prayers go out to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers and condolences to you all in the loss of Terry's Dad.

    I pray to God we never forget this date and yes, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I remember the shock when I realized it was not an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My condolences to Terry.

    The part about your son literally took my breath away. So glad he is safe. So sorry about all the fellow employees you lost that day. Glad you are safe, too. It may take me a while to get my breathing back to normal. I remember having trouble remembering to breathe that day, too.

    ReplyDelete